Monday, November 19, 2007

can you hear me now?

here's a tip: when a medical professional has their stethoscope in their ears, and is listening to your body, it's wise to be silent until they're done. i like to think of myself as a respectful kind of guy, and make it a practice not to start examining a patient until the conversation has ended or at least paused. it amazes me how many people will again begin talking while i'm examining them with my stethoscope, completely ignoring the facts that 1) i'm obviously intent on obtaining some practical information from listening to their body, so my undivided attention towards that point would be helpful, and 2) i have plastic tubing in my ears, making whatever they're saying sound like instructions from charlie brown's teacher.

please help stop the spread of this epidemic by reaching out to everyone you know, and while you're at it, ask them to turn off their cell phones too.

grumpy old man, signing off.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder how much of this is caused by nervousness? That patients are trying to distract themselves by talking?

fink said...

nonsense- who would be nervous around a charmer like me? besides, it's not like i strip them down an stick them in a paper gown.

Anonymous said...

Why are you even reading the Washington Post??? You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and liberalism!

Anonymous said...

Sounds as annoying as a dentist who asks you a question while he's drilling your tooth.....