Tuesday, May 6, 2008

a day in the life

i would never say that my job is hard. people who lay brick for a living have a hard job. marine infantry have a hard job. i would describe my job as challenging, on some days very demanding, and often puts me into situations that are emotionally taxing. today seemed be all of the above.

one of my first patients arrived at the office in full septic shock- no blood pressure, faint pulse, very weak. got her stabilized and sent off to the hospital by ambulance. interrupted two patients later by a phone call from the pathologist at the hospital with the report on the autopsy from the patient who died last week a few hours after i admitted him. two more patients later, i'm in with a guy telling him he needs a biopsy and likely has cancer.

the afternoon wasn't much better- a patient with trouble breathing (spared a trip to the hospital for now), 4 stitches into the eyebrow of an 8 year old, and a call from the daughter of another patient reporting that her mom's blood pressure was very low (advised her to head to the ER).

down to the hospital after work to check on the lady from the morning (doing better) and admit the lady sent to the ER from the afternoon (doing fine also). then, got a call on my way home that another patient of mine from the nursing home arrived DOA at the emergency room.

hard day? you be the judge.

2 comments:

N said...

Hang in there. Qualifies as a tough day, yes.

You remind me that my less-humanized industry needs to keep itself in check with regard to priorities in life.

Unknown said...

Oh, ugh- I'm sorry. I'd offer you a mojito if we lived closer.

I remember a rough day at mass general where I worked a 12 hour shift and lost someone young while trying to stabilize someone massively bleeding out.

Afterwards, a friend who worked as a hostess at a popular Boston pub, said, "I know just how you feel, it was a rotten day at Brew Moon, too."

Huh???

Sorry, hang in there and know that you are helping your patients in more ways than you probably know.