Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Things I Love: cover songs

I'm resurrecting the "Things I Love" series that I started a while back so I can discuss in depth something I mentioned in the comments section of one of my Idol posts. I love cover songs. If you considered cover songs to be their own genre, I'd choose them over any other. It might have something to do with familiarity- that perhaps it's easier to like a song you already kinda know over something brand new. It might be the "They're fans just like us!" feeling you get when you hear one of your favorite bands playing the songs of another. It might be the appreciation you feel whenever someone presents something to you in a way you hadn't previously considered possible.

But I believe the thing I like most about cover songs is that deep down, it's what we all really want to do. Every time you sing a song- whether it's along with the radio, in the shower, or just in your head- you're covering it yourself. Every one of us with some musical talent has picked up a guitar or sat down at a piano to play a song we like. Some of us learned to play those instruments just for that purpose. When we hear cover songs, it justifies that feeling we all have when we hear a good song- that the best way to express our affection for the song is to belt it out and make it our own. Every cover song is a tribute to the original, and every one we hear encourages us to keep doing what we do- paying tribute in our own way. (Just without the royalties).

Up next: What makes a great cover song? Stay tuned. (pun intended)

3 comments:

PJ Geraghty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
PJ Geraghty said...

A movie filled with Beatles covers: Across the Universe. Most of these are excellent, even if the plot is a little doofy.

333in999 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.